1685: Senior Research Engineer – Bio-inspired Visual UAV Controls
Open Job Announcement:
Senior Research Engineer – Bio-inspired Visual UAV Controls
Scientific Systems Company Inc. (SSCI) is looking to fill a Senior Research Engineer position in the Active Perception and Cognitive Learning group. This position requires prior experience in the development and implementation of novel, bio-inspired visual control algorithms for UAV reactive flight control.
||Senior Research Engineer – Job Code 1685
||PhD with 12-24 months Applied R&D Experience in UAV visual controls
- Lead development of novel, bio-inspired UAV flight control algorithms for reactive obstacle avoidance and goal approach in indoor and outdoor environments at high speeds.
- Present results at customer meetings, academic conferences, and in internal reviews
- Design and Maintain fleet of small UAVs configured for reactive visual navigation
- Manage and support internally and externally-organized flight tests
- Write technical proposals for new R+D programs
- PhD in Aerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering with a focus on bio-inspired visual reactive control applied to small multi-rotor UAVs
- Experience implementing the Fajen and Warren potential field controller and flight testing it at speeds of greater than 15m/s on a small UAV at altitudes below 5m
- Experience implementing biological neuroscience research into working prototype flight control systems, including the development of mechanical, electrical, and software interfaces to build autonomous UAVs
- Experience building vehicle autonomy system software including autopilot interfaces, camera interfaces, standard software libraries, and custom implementations of visual perception algorithms for fast reactive sense and avoid using bio-inspired Expansion Rate and Steering Field based algorithms
- Experience working with the PixHawk autopilot using the ArduCopter stack
- Experience with OpenCV and NVidia VisionWorks computer vision libraries
- Experience leading research, developing and flight testing fast (>10m/s) visual controls systems for small multi-rotors that operate without comms or GPS indoors and outdoors at altitudes below 5m
- Experience developing optic flow based reactive navigation systems for small UAVs using standard cameras and cameras configured with parabolic mirrors
- Experience presenting complex technical material to government customers
- Experience executing complex flight tests as part of government organized demonstration events, including working as part of a team to complete unknown complex missions with an autonomous UAV without GPS
- Proficiency with C/C++, Matlab or Python, GPU optimizations of computer vision code
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with CUDA (or any GPGPU programming), DSP, or FPGA
||Salary is competitive with market rates, with annual bonus awards based on company and individual performance. SSCI offers a generous benefits package, which includes an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), Bonus Plan, 401K, and Health / Life / Disability Insurance.
||This position requires U.S. Citizenship.
Please email your applications to ssci‐email@example.com. Include the Job Code 1685 (use Subject Line) and at least three (3) references with your correspondence for prompt consideration.